Tel: 0191 487 7319; 0191 488 3092(Whickham)
Harry Clark founded the practice in 1948 after 10 years at the Ministry of Agriculture.
Originally a farm animal practice, the first premises were on Sheriff's Highway in Gateshead, with a branch in Chester-le-Street. With vets thin on the ground in the post-war years the practice declined to only a single vet in 1955. As the country slowly recovered from the war, vet numbers and the demand for vets increased. The present building was opened in 1963, and achieved hospital status in 1971 - the first practice in the North-East to achieve this high standard.
The practice continued to expand with the opening in 1973 of a branch in Whickham, followed in 1982 by another in Washington.
Quentin Scott joined the practice in 1970, gaining a partnership shortly thereafter, and still works part-time. William Clark joined his father as a partner in 1976, but since 2007 has now officially retired though he continues to do some veterinary work, mostly ophthalmology. Andrew Henfrey joined the practice in 1993, becoming a partner in 1994, and left the practice to set up the Dragon Veterinary Centre, in what had been our Washington Branch, in 2006. Graeme Armstrong joined the practice in 1996, becoming a partner in 2000. Moira Low also joined the practice in 1996 and became joint partner along side her husband in 2000. Graeme and Moira sold the practice in 2015 to Independent Vetcare Ltd which is where we are today.