Just as in human blood donation, there are certain criteria that a dog must meet to enable safe blood donation.
The dog must:
- Be aged between 1 and 8 years
- Weigh over 25kgs – 55lbs lean bodyweight
- Be in good general health
- Be up to date with vaccinations - dogs cannot give blood up to 14 days after their annual booster vaccination
- Not be taking certain medications - see exclusions information
- Have no history of heart murmur, seizures or fainting episodes
- Have no history of travel abroad
- Have not received a blood transfusion
- Have a good temperament and be able to lie quietly for a tummy rub for 5-10 minutes while blood is donated
Suitable candidates for blood donation will have a small patch of hair shaved from their neck and donate 400-500ml depending on bodyweight.
We ask all donors once enrolled on the programme to commit to donating 3-4 times a year.
One donation can help save the lives of up to four dogs.
In return the dog will receive:
- A full physical health check by one of the PBBuk vets
- Blood Screening – Full Haematology & Biochemistry to check internal health status – results sent to registered vet
- Blood typing – results sent to owner and registered vet
- Free Microchip if the dog does not already have one
- A Goodie Bag with an Exclusive Pet Blood Bank uk Lifesaver Bandana and Tag